Cătălin heads the Dispute Resolution department of Filip & Company. Specialising in commercial arbitration and litigation, he has built an impressive track record in difficult matters and niche areas, including energy, construction, telecom, insurance and capital markets. He is also recognised for his work on tax procedure (including a book in co-authorship) and praised for his results in anti-trust disputes.
Highlights of his activity include assisting:
- a private investor in the energy sector in two ICC arbitrations under a privatisation agreement, amounting to EUR 138 million in aggregate;
- coordinating the team of lawyers providing on-going representation to the leading Romanian telecom provider (RCS & RDS) in an array of cases valued at over EUR 200 million, such as: (i) challenging the electricity distribution regulatory framework in Romania; (ii) multiple claims of abuse of dominant position; (iii) numerous trials regarding the must-carry regime in Romania and its interplay with IP rules; or (iv) on-line piracy related disputes;
- a leading international real estate developer in enforcement proceedings for the recovery of an approximately EUR 30 million receivable held against a known Romanian real estate developer;
- a bank in enforcement proceedings for the recovery of EUR 15 million from a real estate developer;
- a Romanian financial authority in defending its decision to commence financial recovery proceedings against a local insurer through the appointment of a special administrator;
- a multinational major construction company in an arbitration claim of more than EUR 75 million against the Romanian National Railway Company, arising out of the performance of a 1999 FIDIC Red Book construction agreement for railway rehabilitation.